Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
One of our go-to snacks for LP is beets, especially when we get them in our CSA box. When prepped ahead of time these super simple roasted beets can be tossed in with salad or pasta, or even just eaten on their own. Roasting can be kind of a pain in the summer when it is hot, so I usually wait for one cool day and roast a ton of beets that night. I also roast them in the toaster over sometimes, which gives off a lot less heat!
One more beet tip – these suckers give off a lot of red juice! If you want to get it off your cutting board right away put a little white vinegar on a cloth and scrub the juice off with that – it will come right off.
Super Simple Roasted Beets
- 1 TB olive oil
- 3 large beets (or 4-5 small to medium ones)
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil and 1-2 tsp of balsamic vinegar for flavoring (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 425
2) Lay out a large piece of aluminum foil. Rinse and lightly scrub the beets, then cut the tops and base off of each beet.
3) Put the beets base side down on the foil. Sprinkle the olive oil over the tops. Fold up the foil to totally seal in the beets.
4) Put the beets in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours. The beets will be done when you can easily pierce them with the tip of a knife.
5) When they are done, pull the beets out of the oven, open the foil pocket and let them sit until cool enough to handle (between 15-30 minutes usually). Then, peel the skin off with your hands – it should come off really easily.
Notes from the Year of Family
Today we ate:
- Breakfast: Green smoothies and peanut butter toast.
- Mom had a cranberry walnut muffin while meeting a friend for coffee, while LP and Dad munched on almonds during their trip to the pond.
- Lunch: Falafel from Amsterdam Falafel Shop. LP also requested french fries and ketchup, and we obliged.
- Dinner: Carrot ginger soup and toast with butter – soup definitely helped Mom fight her cold!
Today we spent the following:
- $6.00 on a muffin and tea for Mom while she caught up with a friend at Diesal Cafe
- $10.00 co-pay for Irene’s eye medication (she has conjunctivitis, but only in one eye and we caught it early!)
- $18.52 for our falafel lunch(LP really wanted them!)