Happy New Year’s Eve! Tonight I’m making my favorite cinnamon rolls using this recipe from Veg News. I can’t think of a better New Year’s Day breakfast, so I figured I would share so that everyone could enjoy! Check out the link here! I adapted it some so that I could make them the night before and use a different kind of yeast (we only have instant yeast on hand). So, here is the adapted version!
Night-Before Cinnamon Rolls
Night-Before Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup + 3TB non-dairy milk
- 5 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine, divided
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Heat the non-dairy milk and 2 tablespoons margarine until warm, then remove from heat. (You could also do this step in the microwave. Microwave on high for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Then let it sit so that the margarine can melt a bit ).
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, yeast, gluten, and salt. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. With a wooden spoon, blend until it begins to hold together.
- On a floured surface, turn out the dough and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Form into a ball, place in a lightly-greased large bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours. Punch the dough down and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a rectangle shape about 12-x-6 inches.
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Melt 2 tablespoons margarine and lightly spread over the dough, then sprinkle on the sugar mixture. Tightly roll up the dough along the longer side, moistening the final edge with water and sealing. Cut into 1-inch slices and place evenly apart on a lightly-greased 9-x-13-inch pan.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning pull the rolls out and let them come to room temperature (about 30 minutes). At the same time preheat the oven to 350.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon margarine and light brush rolls, then bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the icing, beat the powdered sugar, margarine, and vanilla with an electric mixer until the margarine is distributed into the sugar (the mixture should be crumbly). Slowly drizzle in the non-dairy milk and beat until the icing is smooth, about 2 minutes. After the rolls have cooled slightly, slather on icing and serve.
Notes from the “Year of Family“
Today we ate:
- Breakfast: Green smoothies for Dad and LP followed by cheerios
- Almonds in the car on the way to the Museum of Science
- Lunch: Special treat: Boloco Burritos!
- Dinner: Black bean and kale soup and biscuits. Mom and Dad enjoyed a cosmo after the kids went to bed.
Today we spent the following:
- 3.05 to mail a book for paperback swap
- 8.50 on Museum of Science Parking
Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
One thought on “Monday: Recipe Day with Cinnamon Rolls”