Today we ate:
- Breakfast: Green smoothies for Mom and LP and followed by oat-bran muffins – see recipe below!
- Lunch: Miso soup for Dad and LP. Mom had leftover mac and cheese
- Mom snacked on some chocolate chips after lunch. LP and Dad had some crackers
- Dinner: Tofu, Broccoli and Carrot stir-fry with a sesame-ginger sauce
Today the G-man got some more gardening supplies:
- $18.00 for some grow-shelf supplies for Dad
Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
This morning I had a hankering for muffins and we had one cup of wheat bran left in the pantry. So, bran muffins it was! I cobbled together this recipe using a few different bran muffin recipes in cookbooks and on the internet. These came out quite yummy, and they held together well (unlike some other recipes I’ve tried).
- 2 TB of flaxseed meal, blended with 4 TB of water
- 1 cup of wheat bran (oat bran would probably work too)
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400 and prepare a muffin tin (either by greasing the pan or putting in muffin liners)
- Mix up the flaxseed meal and water and set it off to the side (this is your egg substitute).
- Mix the bran, oats, flours and baking powder in a bowl
- In a separate bowl or large glass measuring cup mix the applesauce, oil and milk. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
- Gently stir the liquid mixture into dry mix until just moistened. Fold in the raisins.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin tin and then bake for 15 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out dry). Let them cool for at least 5 minutes before digging in.