Delicious Vegan Dish of the Day:
We had our weekly stir-fry for dinner tonight. Tofu, noodles, broccoli, mushrooms, bell pepper, cabbage and a ginger/tamari/sesame sauce. Yummy!
Today we spent the following:
- $15.51 for groceries at Whole Foods
- $15.00 for a transcript order
Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
As mentioned in a previous post, the G-man is the official baker in the family. Here is a great bread recipe we make once or twice a week. You can use this bread for sandwiches, but it really goes well with soup or as morning toast.
Almost No-Knead Bread
3 cups (15 oz) all purpose flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 2 TB (7 oz) water at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 TB (3 oz) mild flavored lager
1 TB white vinegar
1) Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl
2) Add liquid ingredients and mix until hydrated
3) Wrap the bowl in a large plastic bag and let it sit at room temperature for 8-18 hours.
4) Flour counter and hands and knead gently 10-15 times
5) Shape into a boule by pursing the edges together
6) Oil parchment paper laid into a skillet. Place dough on top, spray with oil and cover with plastic for 2 hours. Later, the loaf can be lifted on parchment paper and placed directly into a Dutch oven for baking.
7) After final proof, dust with flour and score (slash a small X in the top of the dough)
8) Preheat the oven to 500, with the Dutch oven inside
9) Reduce temperature to 425, slide the bread dough into the Dutch oven and bake covered for 30 minutes
10) The remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the internal bread temperature reaches about 200 degrees