Delicious Vegan Dish of the Day:
We had a great time at a Memorial Day cook out today. Veggies and hummus, veggie burgers and portabello mushrooms and vegan cupcakes. Yummy!
We were busy with the cookout and festivities today.
Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
It’s BBQ time! Here is one of my favorite Black Bean Burger recipes (from my mom!) These are great, but it is good to either freeze them or cook them on foil so they don’t crumble on the grill.
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 in. pieces
1/2 onion cut into wedges
3 cloves of garlic peeled
1/2 cup silken tofu
1 TB of chili powder (I would use more next time to give it a kick!)
1 TB of ground cumin (more cumin too!!)
1 tsp Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
about 2 cups cooked brown rice
1) In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork or potato masher until thick and pasty.
2) In a food processor, finely chop (don’t liquefy) bell pepper, onion and garlic. Strain to get rid of excess liquid and then stir the veggies into the mashed beans.
3) In the food processor blend the silken tofu with the chili powder, cumin and chili sauce. Stir that mixture into the mixed beans and veggies. Mix in bread crumbs.
4) Throw in the brown rice and mix really, really, really well until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
5) Divide mixture into patties (about 6). When the patties are really solid (freezing them helps) bake them on a baking sheet in a 375 oven for about 15 minutes on each side.