I love bran muffins and we had some wheat bran just staring at me from the depths of our pantry last week. So, I whipped up these low-sugar bran muffins and they were a hit! These are great for breakfast, but also for a mid-day snack on the go! They also have no refined sugar and lots of healthy fiber.
3/4 cup soy milk
3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 TB canola oil
3 TB maple syrup
1 1/3 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup of wheat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 and put muffin liners in a 12 cup muffin pan
- In a large bowl whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow it to rest for about 1 minute
- Add the applesauce, oil and maple syrup to the milk mixture and whisk complete to fully incorporate
- In a separate, smaller bowl, sift together the flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet. Stir only to moisten – do not overmix.
- Fold in the raisins
- Use an ice cream scooper or large spoon to scoop the batter into the muffin tins
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes (preferably 10) before eating!