Growing up in California, I rarely came across breakfast sandwiches. In fact, the only “breakfast sandwiches” I was aware of were the ubiquitous Egg McMuffins, and whatever Jack-in-the-Box called their version. It was only after moving to the Northeast that I entered a world where almost everyone enjoyed breakfast sandwiches. The crucial parts were the egg (fried, poached, or scrambled) and the bread (bagels and english muffins were the top choices). Add to that some cheese, and maybe sausage or bacon and you are good to go.
Needless to say, none of this appealed to either my vegan tastes or even my personal tastes; I’ve never been a big egg fan. However, this summer I was on the hunt for a more savory breakfast that didn’t emphasize carbs or meat substitutes. I decided to give a vegan version of breakfast sandwiches a try and a new favorite was found. I prefer my egg sandwich with just the “tofu egg” and avocado on an english muffin, but you could also melt on some Daiya cheese, drizzle on some hot sauce or jalapeños, or otherwise dress it up to meet your preferences. It’s quick and easy enough for a weekday breakfast, and delicious enough to be a weekend treat. In fact, I now have to make double batches when my kids are around so that they can get their share of “tofu egg” as well!
Tofu 'Egg' Sandwich
- 6 oz of firm silken tofu (1/2 of a Mori-Nu box)
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp oil or oil spray container
- 2 tablespoons of grated carrot (optional)
- 1 english muffin
- 1/4 sliced avocado (optional)
- Put the tofu in a bowl. Sprinkle in the seasonings (cumin, thyme, turmeric, paprika, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper). Mash with a fork until seasonings are mixed in and mixture is crumbly.
- Spray a little bit of oil (or use about 1/2 a teaspoon of oil) on a medium skillet. Saute the tofu, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes.
- Start toasting the english muffin
- Add in the grated carrot and stir to combine. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Spread the sliced avocado on the english muffin halves. Top each half with the tofu mixture. If you want to make this a sandwich, use only part of the tofu mixture.