Delicious Vegan Dish of the Day:
Since the weather was so nice we went out for an ice cream treat today at JP Licks, since they started carrying vegan ice cream! We all shared a cup of soy chocolate fudge and a cup of lemon raspberry sorbet.
Today we spent the following:
- $8.50 for ice cream
Monday Munchies: Recipe of the Week
One of my favorite dinners is Warm Chickpea Salad from the “Voluptuous Vegan” I’ve made it so much that I’ve subconciously adapted it to our pantry ingrediants and preferences. Here is that (very lightly) adapted version:
Warm Chickpea Salad
3 cups of cooked chickpeas (equivalent of two cans)
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 14 oz can of artichoke hearts (whole or quartered – if they are whole, cut them in halves or quarters depending on your preference).
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (you can use dried, but rehydrate them in boiling water for about 10 minutes first)
1/4 olive oil plus 1 TB for sauteing
3 TB lemon juice (or the juice of one fresh lemon)
1 TB fresh rosemary, chopped
1) Pour the chickpeas into a bowl
2) Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Then, pour this mixture over the chickpeas
3) Put a bit more oil in the pan, and then put in the artichoke hearts so that they are spread out in one layer. Cook them on medium heat for about 5 minutes, and then flip them over to cook on the other side for five minutes more. Then put them in with the chickpea mix.
4) Chop up the rehydrated sun dried tomatoes (if needed) and put them in the chickpea mix
5) Mix the 1/4 of olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary in a separate bowl to make a dressing. Then pour it over the chickpea mix and mix it up. Serve on its own or over some greens.